|Type(s)||Action - Attack|
Each other player gains a Curse.
Familiar is an Action-Attack from Alchemy. It is a cantrip curser—i.e., it gives opponents Curses and gives you +1 Card and +1 Action. It is the only non-terminal curser or junking attack, and therefore can be very strong; however, its cost makes it harder to gain than most other cursers. It can be a very frustrating card, since its cost makes it likely for a player to be unable to afford it far longer than their opponent if they draw their Potion at the wrong time!
 Official FAQ
- If there aren't enough Curses left to go around when you play Familiar, you deal them out in turn order, starting with the player to your left.
- If you play Familiar with no Curses remaining, you will still get +1 Card and +1 Action.
- A player gaining a Curse puts it face-up into his discard pile.
 Other Rules clarifications
 Strategy Article
Familiar is a very powerful attack, since it is a cantrip and therefore does not become a dead card once the Curses have been depleted, and once you have a few in your deck you can hand out Curses with it very rapidly. However, its cost makes it slow to acquire multiple copies of and extremely swingy: there is a roughly one in four chance that one player will be unable to get a Familiar on turns 3 and 4 and the other player will, much higher than the chance of missing out on a Witch or Mountebank.
Unlike Witch and Mountebank, having a Familiar does not itself improve your per-turn buying power (and having a Potion can harm buying power in the absence of other desirable -cost cards), so Familiar strategies can actually lose to super-fast Big Money strategies like BM+Wharf, or engines which ramp up fast enough to be able to trash the curses as they come in. Familiar is especially weak against Masquerade-Big Money, as it is a fast strategy which is able to return the gained Curses to the Familiar player.
- Other -cost cards
- Squire and a weak trashing card (eg. Watchtower) will let you get Familiar without buying a Potion
- Chapel trashes too fast for Familiar, which starts at a disadvantage because of the useless Potion
- Masquerade, which is able to return the gained Curses
 Alternate versions
 In other languages
- Czech: Alchymistův poskok (lit. alchemist's underling)
- Dutch: Oude bekende (lit. old friend)
- Finnish: Apuolento
- French: Familier
- German: Vertrauter (lit. confidant)
- Italian: Famiglio
- Japanese: 使い魔 (pron. tsukaima)
- Russian: Фамильяр (pron. famil'yar)
- Spanish: Familiar
 Secret History. It seemed like it would be fine at , so I lowered it. Then we tried a version where you picked a card and everyone else gained it. That would sometimes be political (as Wei-Hwa pointed out), where you picked a victory card to end the game and not everyone got one. So I changed it to "non-victory card." But then it was like, once the Curses ran out, you emptied however many piles you had to to end the game. It was not something the card needed. So, back to the original.