Peddler variant, or cantrip money, is a catch-all term for cantrips that give + . They fit very easily into almost any engine, since, as long as they are not drawn dead by a terminal draw card with no actions remaining, they can always be played to increase buying power without obstructing your access to other engine cards.
The simplest possible Peddler variant—a card that simply gives +1 Card, +1 Action, +Donald X. Vaccarino has commented that leaving this niche unfilled gives him more flexibility in designing variants. Consensus among analysts is that such a card, if it existed, would be balanced at a cost of roughly , even though is the cost of Poacher, which is strictly worse than "vanilla peddler".—does not exist; all Peddler variants carry at least one other bonus, penalty, or quirk aside from the cantrip-money effect.
 List of Peddler variants
The Peddler variants, and their differences from the notional "vanilla Peddler", are as follows. Cards in italics have been removed.
 Unconditional Peddlers
These cards always give at least +1 Card, +1 Action, and +(or the equivalent).
- Dominion: Poacher—discards a card from hand if supply piles are empty
- Dominion: Market—gives +Buy
- Seaside: Bazaar—gives +2 Actions instead of +1
- Seaside: Treasury—may be top-decked instead of discarded during cleanup if you do not buy Victory cards
- Prosperity: Grand Market—gives +Buy and + instead of
- Prosperity: Peddler—has a variable cost that enables tricks with +Buy and trash-for-benefit
- Hinterlands: Oasis—discards a card from hand
- Hinterlands: Highway—instead of giving + , reduces costs by
- Dark Ages: Junk Dealer—trashes a card from hand
- Guilds: Baker—gives a Coin token instead of +
- Adventures: Caravan Guard—the + is delayed until next turn
- Adventures: Artificer—also a discard for benefit gainer
- Empires: Emporium—also has a potential on-gain + bonus
 Conditional Peddlers
These cards have cantrip-money effects that are not always activated.
- Dominion: Merchant—is a Peddler variant on a turn on which you play Silver
- Intrigue: Conspirator—is a terminal silver if it is the first or second action played on a turn, but a cantrip later
- Intrigue: Mill—gives + only if you discard two cards
- Intrigue: Mining Village—is a village with an optional one-shot +
- Cornucopia: Tournament—may have its +Card and + blocked if an opponent has a Province in hand; can gain Prizes
- Dark Ages: Mystic—gives non-terminal + but only draws if you can guess the card it's going to draw
- Empires: Settlers—instead of giving + , can put a Copper in your hand if you have one in your discard pile.
- Empires: Chariot Race—only gives + if you reveal a more expensive card from your deck than the player to your left.
- Nocturne: Secret Cave—requires you to discard 3 cards first, and its + is delayed until next turn.
 Marginal Peddlers
These cards are not normally thought of as Peddler variants.
- Dominion: Vassal—a terminal silver that can play the top card of your deck if it is an Action, which is kind of like giving +1 Card and +1 Action when it happens.
- Intrigue: Tribute—can give +2 Cards, +2 Actions, and + under rare circumstances depending on the top of the deck of the opponent to your left.
- Prosperity: City—acts as combination Village, Laboratory, Market if two supply piles are empty
- Prosperity: Venture—is a Treasure, which is like being a non-terminal Action, and digs for a Treasure and plays it immediately, which is similar to drawing a card
- Dark Ages: Ironmonger—is a cantrip that gives + if the second card of your deck (from the top) is a Treasure card