Events, introduced in Adventures, and revisited in Empires, are special on-buy effects not attached to cards; players can buy Events during their Buy phase to trigger whatever the effect of the Event is, as an alternative to (or in addition to) buying cards from the supply.
Events are not Kingdom cards; including one or more Events in a game does not count toward the 10 Kingdom card piles the supply includes. In fact, Events are not considered "cards" at all; any text referring to a "card" (such as instructions to "name a card", or cost reducers changing the cost of cards) does not apply to Events. However, for reference, the Event effects and costs are printed on cards in a landscape orientation with silver frames.
There are 34 Events, any number of which may be used in a game of Dominion, though Donald X recommends not using more than two total Events and Landmarks. When choosing a random Kingdom, the Events may be shuffled into the randomizer deck; any Events that are dealt once 10 Kingdom cards have also been dealt will be included in the game.
List of Events
Advance, Alms, Borrow, Quest
Delve, Scouting Party, Tax, Travelling Fair
Banquet, Bonfire, Expedition, Ferry, Plan
Mission, Pilgrimage, Ritual, Salt the Earth
Ball, Raid, Seaway, Summon, Trade, Windfall
Conquest, Lost Arts, Training
- Adventures has Events. These are not Kingdom cards.
- In a player’s Buy phase, when the player can buy a card, the player can buy an Event instead.
- Buying an Event means paying the cost indicated on the Event and then doing the effect of the Event.
- The Event just stays on the table, the player does not take it; there is no way for a player to gain one or end up with one in his deck.
- Buying an Event uses up a Buy; normally a player can either buy a card, or buy an Event.
- A player with two Buys, such as after playing Ranger, could buy two cards, or buy two Events, or buy a card and an Event (in either order).
- The same Event can be bought multiple times in a turn if the player has the Buys and available to do it.
- Some Events give +Buys and so let the player buy further cards/Events afterwards.
- Players cannot play further Treasures that turn after buying an Event.
- Buying an Event is not buying a card and so does not trigger cards like Swamp Hag or Goons (from Prosperity).
- Costs of Events are not affected by cards like Bridge Troll.
- Events can also be shuffled into the randomizer deck.
- Events are not part of the 10 Kingdom cards used in a game; when an Event is turned over, put it on the table but keep turning over cards until you get 10 Kingdom cards.
- For normal play we recommend using at most two Events per game; skip any further Events.
- Skip Events when using a randomizer card to determine whether or not to use Platinum/Colony (from Prosperity), or Shelters (from Dark Ages) in a game.
- Events cannot be Young Witch's bane (from Cornucopia).
In other languages
- Dutch: Gebeurtenis
- German: Ereignis
- Japanese: イベント (pron. ibento)
- Polish: Zdarzenie
- Russian: Событие (pron. sobytiye)