(→top: added improve template)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|name = Forager
|name = Forager
Latest revision as of 17:04, 4 March 2021
|This page is awaiting large-scale edits by the community to meet quality and format standards. The information on this page may be outdated. Join the #wiki-meta channel on the Dominion Discord server to participate.|
|Illustrator(s)||Eric J Carter|
Trash a card from your hand, then + per differently named Treasure in the trash.
 Official FAQ
- Trash a card from your hand if you can.
- Whether or not you can, you still get + per differently named Treasure in the trash, plus +1 Action and +1 Buy.
- Multiple copies of the same Treasure card do not increase how much you get.
- For example if the trash has four Coppers and a Counterfeit, you get + .
 Other Rules clarifications
- The amount of Forager fields is calculated the instant after it trashes a card; do not wait until the Buy phase to check how many Treasures are in the trash. All Actions, unless explicitly stated otherwise, are resolved when they are played.
 Strategy Article
See here for a Forager article.
Since it's a nonterminal trasher, Forager is pretty good for getting an engine set up. Early in the game it will probably give + or + once you've trashed a Copper, but later in the game, once your engine is up and running, you can trash one of your early Silvers with it and it will give + and a buy - not bad as an engine component!
Getting it to +or higher is less common. It requires either
- Deliberate effort - buying a Gold or gaining a Spoils just to trash it to raise Forager's value.
- Early-game Treasures that lose value by the mid or late-game; Talisman once you've gained lots of cheap cards with it, Potion once you no longer want Familiars, Loan once all your Coppers are gone.
- Trashing attacks - Pirate Ship or Knights might destroy your Golds anyway.
- Trash-for-benefit - while trashing a Gold to Forager just to raise Forager's value seems like a bad deal, Salvaging a Gold somewhat early to buy some engine components and also raise Forager's value seems like a much better offer.
There may be useful insights in comparing Forager to other sub-single-card Trashers:
- Like Lookout, it's nonterminal. Lookout trashes from the top of the deck, which saves you a card in hand, but gives no bonus. Lookout becomes riskier later, whereas Forager becomes a little powered up later.
- Spice Merchant and Moneylender both give better bonuses early, but can't trash Estates or Shelters.
- Salvager is terminal and better for trashing Estates, but worse for trashing Coppers.
- Trade Route seems like the opposite of Forager in a some ways—it counts Victory cards gained rather than treasures trashed. Both power up as the game goes on and give +Buy, and you may be tempted to weaken your own deck to power it up. However, Forager is nonterminal and thus doesn't carry the risk of collision.
If by the late-game, Forager is giving you +or even + , it may be worth using Forager's +Buy to buy cheap cards just to trash them the next turn with Forager, to keep getting the cash.
- Pirate Ship, Knights, Bandit, and trash for benefit will probably power up the Forager more by trashing Golds
- Engines which can make use of the trashing and +Buy
- Talisman and Loan are both good Forager fodder once they've outlived their usefulness
- Storyteller provides a way to get more cards for the money you've gained, which can lead to a megaturn.
- Faster trashing like Chapel, Remake.
- Graverobber can take treasures out of the trash.
- Platinum and Colony games.
 English versions
|+1 Action. +1 Buy. Trash a card from your hand. +per differently named Treasure in the trash.||Dark Ages 1st Edition||August 2012|
|+1 Action. +1 Buy. Trash a card from your hand, then +per differently named Treasure in the trash.||Dark Ages 2nd Edition||September 2017|
 Other language versions
 Secret History, so that you could use it to buy two more of them right away, but that turned out to be too strong. An early version I don't remember says "Trash a card from your hand. + per different treasure in the trash, +1 Card per different victory card in the trash," with no +Action/+Buy.