266 (26 sets)
Hinterlands is the 6th Dominion expansion, released in October 2011. The basic theme of the set is cards that either have or cause effects when you buy or gain them. Hinterlands is a popular expansion, offering a nice balance of engine, BM, and alternate VP cards.
Basic Supply Cards
- Hinterlands is only an expansion, so no Basic Supply Cards are included.
Crossroads, Duchess, Fool's Gold
Develop, Oasis, Oracle, Scheme, Tunnel
Jack of all Trades, Noble Brigand, Nomad Camp, Silk Road, Spice Merchant, Trader
Cache, Cartographer, Embassy, Haggler, Highway, Ill-Gotten Gains, Inn, Mandarin, Margrave, Stables
Border Village, Farmland
Impact of Hinterlands
Hinterlands introduced a number of cards which are popular in building engines. Some of these include:
- Scheme - Allows you the ability to top-deck actions played last turn.
- Highway - The Bridge-effect encourages megaturn strategies.
- Crossroads - The card is a cheap source of +Actions.
- Border Village - Allows you to gain both a village and a power card.
- Haggler - Acts as a pseudo +Buy, giving you a cheaper extra card (perhaps a Cantrip or village) to go with your main purchase.
- Cartographer - A Cantrip which allows you to sift through your deck to ensure you hit your key cards.
- Inn - A village which is particularly good when much of the deck is discarded, to play multiple actions in the same turn.
The expansion offered three cards which are relatively effective for BM strategies.
- Jack of all Trades is a solid BM card because of its ability to both gain Silver and trash your starting Estates or Curses.
- Embassy offers a combination of both large draw and sifting ability.
- Oracle offers weak draw, but offsets that somewhat with its attack and sifting ability.
Hinterlands has two cards which will often lead to rush strategies.
- Silk Road - An easy rush option with Workshop or Ironworks. The card gains a lot of power with the presence of cheap alternate VP such as Tunnel or Great Hall.
- Ill-Gotten Gains - Another popular rush target, finishing off the IGG's will typically empty the Curse pile at the same time. Gardens or Duchy are typically the third pile to be finished in these rushes.
There seems to be a consensus in the Dominion community that Hinterlands increased the importance of Silver relative to the other expansions.
- Jack of all Trades - Displayed the power of gaining silver for simple BM strategies.
- Trader - Showed the potential of flooding one's deck with Silver.
- Silk Road - A way to easily gain Silver is often all that is needed to enable a Silk Road rush.
Hinterlands introduced cards that can, in a broad sense, be considered "better" versions of earlier cards - that is, an attempt was made to "fix" what seemed to be problems with the original cards.
- Noble Brigand - A "better" Thief, since it doesn't trash Copper (and in fact distributes them), and gives - however, it cannot gain more exotic Treasures
- Spice Merchant - A "better" Moneylender, it is more flexible, both in what it can trash, and what it does after trashing, though it does not field as much
- Cartographer - A "better" Scout, it discards from your deck instead of drawing Victory cards, and also draws a card, though it costs more
- Highway - A "better" Bridge, it brings costs down much more easily given its cantrip nature (and thus is much better for tricks requiring cost-reduction), but is more expensive and does not give +Buy
Game designer Donald X. offered some insight into some themes of the set here.
- 9 Effects when gained/bought: Noble Brigand, Nomad Camp, Cache, Embassy, Ill-Gotten Gains, Inn, Mandarin, Border Village, Farmland
- 4 Other interaction with gain/buy: Duchess, Fool's Gold, Trader, Haggler
- 7 Victory/Treasure/Reaction: Fool's Gold, Tunnel, Silk Road, Trader, Cache, Ill-Gotten Gains, Farmland
- 4 Interact with Victory cards: Crossroads, Duchess, Fool's Gold, Silk Road
- 8 Card filtering: Oasis, Oracle, Jack of all Trades, Cartographer, Embassy, Inn, Margrave, Stables
Recommended Sets of 10
- Introduction - Cache, Crossroads, Develop, Haggler, Jack of all Trades, Margrave, Nomad Camp, Oasis, Spice Merchant, Stables
- Fair Trades - Border Village, Cartographer, Develop, Duchess, Farmland, Ill-Gotten Gains, Noble Brigand, Silk Road, Stables, Trader
- Bargains - Border Village, Cache, Duchess, Fool's Gold, Haggler, Highway, Nomad Camp, Scheme, Spice Merchant, Trader
- Gambits - Cartographer, Crossroads, Embassy, Inn, Jack of all Trades, Mandarin, Nomad Camp, Oasis, Oracle, Tunnel
Hinterlands & Dominion
- Highway Robbery - Cellar, Library, Moneylender, Throne Room, Workshop / Highway, Inn, Margrave, Noble Brigand, Oasis
- Adventures Abroad - Adventurer, Chancellor, Festival, Laboratory, Remodel / Crossroads, Farmland, Fool's Gold, Oracle, Spice Merchant
Hinterlands & Intrigue
- Money for Nothing: Coppersmith, Great Hall, Pawn, Shanty Town, Torturer / Cache, Cartographer, Jack of all Trades, Silk Road, Tunnel
- The Duke's Ball: Conspirator, Duke, Harem, Masquerade, Upgrade / Duchess, Haggler, Inn, Noble Brigand, Scheme
Hinterlands & Seaside
- Travelers: Cutpurse, Island, Lookout, Merchant Ship, Warehouse / Cartographer, Crossroads, Farmland, Silk Road, Stables
- Diplomacy: Ambassador, Bazaar, Caravan, Embargo, Smugglers / Embassy, Farmland, ill-Gotten Gains, Noble Brigand, Trader
Hinterlands & Alchemy
- Schemes and Dreams - Apothecary, Apprentice, Herbalist, Philosopher's Stone, Transmute / Duchess, Fool's Gold, Ill-Gotten Gains, Jack of all Trades, Scheme
- Wine Country - Apprentice, Familiar, Golem, University, Vineyard / Crossroads, Farmland, Haggler, Highway, Nomad Camp
Hinterlands & Prosperity
- Instant Gratification - Bishop, Expand, Hoard, Mint, Watchtower / Farmland, Haggler, Ill-Gotten Gains, Noble Brigand, Trader
- Treasure Trove - Bank, Monument, Royal Seal, Trade Route, Venture / Cache, Develop, Fool's Gold, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mandarin
Hinterlands & Cornucopia
- Blue Harvest - Hamlet, Horn of Plenty, Horse Traders, Jester, Tournament / Fool's Gold, Mandarin, Noble Brigand, Trader, Tunnel
- Traveling Circus - Fairgrounds, Farming Village, Hunting Party, Jester, Menagerie / Border Village, Embassy, Fool's Gold, Nomad Camp, Oasis
Hinterlands & Dark Ages
- Far From Home - Cartographer, Develop, Embassy, Fool's Gold, Haggler / Beggar, Count, Feodum, Marauder, Wandering Minstrel
- Expeditions - Crossroads, Farmland, Highway, Spice Merchant, Tunnel /Altar, Catacombs, Ironmonger, Poor House, Storeroom
Hinterlands on DS.com and F.DS.com
Dominion Strategy Forums
- Hinterlands Speculation
- Staggered Release Discussion
- Full List Leak Discussion
- Three Sentence Overviews.