(→Other language versions)
(→Other language versions)
|Line 69:||Line 69:|
| Bildhauerin || || ||
| Bildhauerin ||||||
Revision as of 16:58, 13 October 2019
|Gain a card to your hand costing up to. If it's a Treasure, +1 Villager.|
- The card is gained to your hand; that is not optional.
- If you gain a Nomad Camp (from Hinterlands) with this, it goes to your hand.
Sculptor, much like Artisan, draws its power from the fact that the card is gained to your hand instead of your discard pile. Unlike Artisan, however, you do not reduce your hand size, which allows for some powerful synergies, mentioned below. It can be tricky when considering whether to get Actions or Treasures, so it is worth closer examination.
How does Sculptor affect your deck?
- Accelerated building: Like other gainers, you will be able to pick up more engine pieces. Unlike the cheaper Workshop, Sculptor may enable you play the gained card right away, preventing any tempo loss other than the action Sculptor consumed. However, in order to play the gained card you need a spare action, or to have gained a Treasure (usually this will be a Silver).
- In turn flexibility: Did you run out of draw, or need an extra buy, but have actions to spare? Sculptor is here to help you out: much like Artisan, Sculptor can save you from those bad turns in which your deck wasn't on your side. Unlike Artisan, you can't gain and topdeck an Action if you're out of terminals this turn, but that's where Villagers from earlier in the game or a village played earlier this turn helps.
- Villager buffer: Having at least one Villager is a huge help that will make your deck much more consistent, and is almost always something you want. While Sculptor does not excel in that regard, it is certainly a nice upside to be able gain a Silver to potentially save you at some later time.
- Increased need of villages: Playing Sculptor and the card you gained will consume two actions. While Sculptor can gain a village to hand, which makes it action-neutral, you need a village or Villager ready first. Having an extra village already in your deck helps make use of Sculptor's full potential.
Use in engines
When you are building an engine and drawing your deck, gaining a Silver is rarely the right move. Many players commonly make the mistake of gaining a Silver when they would not be able to gain an Action and play it immediately. Gaining a Silver is best limited to when
- You need to spike your economy this turn to afford something that impacts the game majorly, such as Inheritance or Citadel, or
- You know you will have terminal draw or a collision in your next hand, and getting +1 Villager now will save your upcoming turn.
Use in money decks
While Sculptor on its own is not enough to make money dominant or competitive on most boards, it is a significant boost to a deck already pursuing a money strategy. In these decks, Silver is something you happily add, and that turns Sculptor into a much better Explorer, until late into the game. Compared to Explorer, you either get an extra Villager when gaining a Silver or have the option to make use of Sculptor's great flexibility to gain whatever you currently need.
With cost reduction
Sculptor has synergies with cost reduction that are very important:
- Sculptor can gain cards costing Duchy and Sculptor itself), which are usually much more powerful than cards costing or less. or more (including
- A single Sculptor lets you can gain as many Sculptors as you have unused actions or Villagers. You can empty the Sculptor pile with a single Sculptor if you have claimed Academy or played Champion.
- Throne Rooms allow you to empty both their pile and the Sculptor pile, without additional actions. Play one Throne Room, then you will enter a loop of playing another Throne Room and a Sculptor to gain a Throne Room and a Sculptor. With Procession, you can also pile any other pile costing or .
- Using a single Scepter on Sculptor also allows you to empty the Sculptor and Scepter piles without needing extra actions.
- Cost reduction
- Money decks
- Strong cards costing or less that you want many of
- Alt treasure costing Quarry or Potion or less, such as
- Capitalism allows you to gain cards better than silvers, get the villager, and play it this turn, such as Militia, Priest, or Cargo Ship
|Gain a card to your hand costing up to. If it's a Treasure, +1 Villager.||Renaissance||November 2018|
Other language versions