|Gain a card to your hand costing up to. If it's a Treasure, +1 Villager.|
- The card is gained to your hand; that is not optional.
- If you gain a Nomad Camp (from Hinterlands) with this, it goes to your hand.
Sculptor, much like Artisan, draws its power from the fact, that the card is gained to hand rather than the discard, unlike Artisan however, you do not reduce hand size which allows for some crazy combos we shall get to later on. It is a card that I feel like is often misplayed so allow me to give some insight.
How does Sculptor affect our deck?
- Accelerated Building: Like other Gainers you will be able to pick up more pieces, unlike Workshop Sculptor lets you play the gained card right away, preventing any tempo loss other than the action Sculptor consumed, this however requires you to either have an extra action to be able to play the gained card afterwards or to gain a treasure, which will most of the time be Silver.
- In turn flexibility: Run out of draw or need an extra buy but have actions to spare? Sculptor is here to help you out, much like Artisan, Scepter can save you from those ugly bad turns in which your deck just wasn't on your side.
- Villager buffer: Having at least one Villager is a huge help that will make your deck way more consistent and is almost always something you want and while Sculptor does not excel in that regard, it is certainly a nice upside to be able get that Silver to potentially save you at some later time.
- Increased need of Village: Playing Sculptor and the card you gained will consume two actions and while Sculptor can gain a Village to hand, which makes it action neutral, you need a Village or Villager in the first place, so having an extra Village in your deck helps greatly to make use of Sculptor's full potential.
The Silver crisis
The most common mistake many players seem to make is that they take Silver if they could otherwise not play the action they would gain and while this can be correct, especially earlier into the game, it has been done so much that I feel the need to cover this topic. Adding a Silver to your deck if what you are trying to do is build an engine and draw your deck is a very bad idea and should mostly be done in the following two cases:
- You really need to spike your economy this turn to reach a certain point for something impacting the game majorly such as Inheritance or Citadel
- You know you will have Terminal Draw in your next hand and taking the Silver will save your upcoming turn
Sculptor in Money
If what you are trying to do is a Money deck things change, a lot. Silver is now something you happily add to your deck and that turns Sculptor into a much better Explorer until late into the game as you either get an extra Villager when taking Silver or have the option to make use of Sculptor's great flexibility and take whatever you currently need. All this makes Sculptor a good addition to Money decks and while it on its own is not enough to make Money dominant or competitive on most boards, it is a significant boost to your deck.
Sculptor and cost reduction
Sculptor is a card that has some synergies with cost reduction that are so important, that I feel like it would be unjust to just list them without talking about them.
- Just one cost reduction from the likes of Highway or Canal allows Sculptor to gain cost cards which are usually way more powerful than cards at or lower. This also allows Duchy to be gained.
- In particular you can gain Sculptor with Sculptor as many times as you have actions for, Academy and Champion allow you to take all of them if you so choose.
- A special mention to Throne Room which allows you to pile both the Throne Room pile and the Sculptor pile at once without even requiring an action, if you do Throne Room - Throne Room - Sculptor, gaining Throne Room and Sculptor each time. With Procession you can additionally pile any other or cost pile.
- Scepter also allows you to drain the Sculptor pile without the need for extra actions.
|Gain a card to your hand costing up to. If it's a Treasure, +1 Villager.||Renaissance||November 2018|
Other language versions
|Chinese||雕刻家 (pron. diāokè jiā)|
|French||Sculptrice (Note: explicitly feminine)|
|Japanese||彫刻家 (pron. chōkoku-ka)||コスト以下のカード1枚を手札に獲得する。それが財宝カードの場合、+1 村人トークン。|
|Russian||Скульптор (pron. skul'ptor)|