The second edition of Dominion was an update to all pre-Empires sets that started in Fall 2016. It involved a number of formatting changes, such as a bigger font where possible, better wordings, and the replacing of all masculine pronouns ("he", "his") with gender-neutral pronouns ("they", "their"). It was most pronounced in the Base and Intrigue sets, which saw a number of functional changes to existing cards, as well as the removal and replacement of some cards that, in retrospect, seemed weak or not fun to play with.
For consistency, this wiki will use second edition rules and wordings wherever possible.
The formatting changes were first announced a few days before Empires was previewed:
In addition to these, previous sets received some wording changes, such as Cellar's, shown to the right. For the most part, these wording changes have no effect on how the card is played; however, a few received functional changes:
- Moneylender, Throne Room, Mine received a "you may" wording for accountability purposes
- Masquerade was changed so players with no cards in hand are skipped
- Outpost was changed to function in a similar way to Mission
- Possession was changed so the Possessing player also receives all tokens gained
- Scheme was changed so you can no longer choose Actions that are not discarded that turn, such as Durations