States are not "cards"; any text referring to a "card" does not apply to States. However, for reference, the State effects are printed on cards in a landscape orientation with rusted frames.
When a player is affected by a State, the State card is placed in front of them for as long as the State's effect needs to be tracked.
 List of States
 Official Rules
- Three Hexes and one Kingdom card give players a State; this is a card that goes in front of a player and applies a rule.
- Deluded and Envious affect a single turn, and then are returned; Miserable and Twice Miserable affect scoring at the end of the game; Lost in the Woods affects one player's turns until another player takes it.
- Deluded and Envious are on the same card; have the relevant side face-up.
- Similarly Miserable and Twice Miserable are on the same card.
- A State only applies while a player has it.
The proofs for States for Nocturne were mistakenly made without expansion symbols, but this was fixed in time for the initial print run.
 In other languages
- Russian: Состояние (pron. sostoyaniye)