Way of the Chameleon
From DominionStrategy Wiki
|This page is awaiting large-scale edits by the community to meet quality and format standards. The information on this page may be outdated. Join the #wiki-general channel on the Dominion Discord server to participate.|
|Way of the Chameleon|
|Follow this card's instructions; each time that would give you +Cards this turn, you get +instead, and vice-versa.|
 Official FAQ
- For example, if you play Sheepdog and use Way of the Chameleon, you will get + instead of +2 Cards.
- If you play a Duration card using Way of the Chameleon, only the + and +Cards you get that turn are affected; for example, if you play Merchant Ship (from Seaside) and use Way of the Chameleon, you will get +2 Cards this turn, but the normal + next turn.
- This turns "+Cards" into "+ " and vice-versa, but does not change other ways to draw cards, for example, "draw until you have 6 cards in hand."
- If the card that uses Way of the Chameleon plays another card, that card just does what it normally does (unless you use Way of the Chameleon on it as well).
 Other rules clarifications
- Different printings of Cellar, Oracle, Storeroom, and Storyteller have inconsistent uses of "+Cards" and "draw." Go by whichever wording is printed on the cards you are using (only +Cards is affected by Way of the Chameleon).
- Way of the Chameleon can be used on cards without any +Cards or +Chapel) or cards with equal +Cards and + (e.g. Market) even though this would normally have no effect. (e.g.
- Enchantress and Highwayman overrule a card's instructions (to either get +1 Card and +1 Action, or nothing). But unlike the other Ways, Way of the Chameleon makes you follow the Action's instructions, which means that Enchantress and Highwayman will stop Way of the Chameleon 
- "Follow this card's instructions" means that anything else that cares about this card's instructions is still applied. So any Action played using Way of the Chameleon will also work with Lantern, Elder, and Reckless. 
- Cards that give choices (e.g. Courtier) give you bonuses in order listed. So if you use Way of the Chameleon on Courtier, and choose "+ " (which becomes +3 Cards) and "gain a Gold," you gain the Gold after drawing.
- If a card you play would trigger another card's +Cards / +Lurker as Way of the Chameleon and trash a Cultist, you'll get +3 Cards, not + . And if you play Herb Gatherer as Way of the Chameleon and play a Gold, you still get + . , that won't be affected by Way of the Chameleon. For example, if you play
- Similarly, Boons and Allies are not affected by Way of the Chameleon. So if you play Druid as Way of the Chameleon and receive The Field's Gift, you still get +1 Action and + ; and if you play Importer as Way of the Chameleon and trigger League of Shopkeepers, you still get + .
- This has no interaction with +Coffers.
- This has no interaction with effects that make you lose Poor House and Souk). (such as
- If you would get +1 Card while you have your -1 Card token, you won't remove the token. And if you would get + while you have your - token, you won't remove the token.
- The tokens from Teacher take effect before you decide to use Way of the Chameleon, so those bonuses will be unaffected.
- If the card you play with Way of the Chameleon gives bonuses later in the same turn, this will still apply to those bonuses. For example, if you play a Priest as Way of the Chameleon, you get +2 Cards, and then for the rest of the turn, you get +2 Cards when you trash a card.
- This only affects on-play effects. So if you Procession a Nomads and play it twice as Way of the Chameleon, you'll draw 4 cards. But when you trash the Nomads, you still get + .
- This has no effect on bonuses that other players get. For example, if you play Governor as Way of the Chameleon and choose the first option, you get + , and the other players get +1 Card.
- If an Action played using Way of the Chameleon would now give +Harbor Village. , that will count for
 English versions
|Follow this card's instructions; each time that would give you +Cards this turn, you get +instead, and vice-versa.||Menagerie||March 2020|
 Other language versions
 Secret History
For strumphf's 2022 advent calendar, Donald X. went in-depth on the development of Way of the Chameleon.. Then I added "this turn" so you didn't have tracking on
 Previous outtake from Cornucopia