|Type(s)||Action - Attack|
|Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck. If they revealed any Treasure cards, they trash one of them that you choose. You may gain any or all of these trashed cards. They discard the other revealed cards.|
Thief is an Action-Attack card from the first edition of the base set. It allows you to "steal" Treasures from opponents by making them trash Treasures from the top 2 cards of their deck and then letting you gain them.
It was removed from the second edition of Dominion. Its successor/replacement is Bandit.
- A player with just one card left reveals that last card and then shuffles to get the other card to reveal (without including the revealed card); a player with no cards left shuffles to get both of them.
- A player who still doesn't have two cards to reveal after shuffling just reveals what they can.
- Each player trashes one Treasure card at most, of the attacker's choice from the two revealed cards, and then you gain any of the trashed cards that you want.
- You can only take Treasures just trashed—not ones trashed on previous turns. You can take none of them, all of them, or anything in between.
- Put the Treasures you decided to gain into your Discard pile. The ones you choose not to gain stay in the Trash pile.
Other Rules clarifications
- The treasures are trashed and then gained, so any things that happen on-trash happen first, and then any on-gain abilities activate afterwards.
Thief was one of the weakest cards in Dominion before it was removed. The big problem with Thief is that it trashes your opponent’s Coppers, and the trashing of starting Coppers is often a major goal that players have at the beginning of the game. Coppers are stop cards which interfere with your ability to draw and play your good cards, so as long as you are buying some good cards to play, trashing your starting Coppers is a benefit. For the same reason, if you do play a Thief and hit Copper, you should almost never choose to gain it.
The core use case for Thief would be in a Kingdom with strong trashing where Treasures are the major source of payload. For example, if your opponent has already trashed all their Coppers with Chapel and the kingdom lacks Action-based sources of payload such as Festival or Vassal, it could be a good idea to buy a Thief, hoping to steal some valuable treasures like Gold. This is more likely to be strong if there are valuable Kingdom Treasures like Crown. Even under these conditions, however, making Thief work is difficult, because it is a terminal which provides no immediate benefit.
Thief is slightly more playable in multiplayer games, especially in those rare games where it’s useful to have Coppers (for example, if everyone is trying to score with Gardens).
Other language versions
|Chinese||小偷 (pron. xiǎotōu)|
|Dutch||Dief|| Iedere speler toont de bovenste 2 kaarten van zijn trekstapel.
Als een speler geldkaarten toont, moet hij er één naar jouw keuze vernietigen.
Je mag een of meer van deze vernietigde kaarten pakken en afleggen.
De andere spelers leggen andere getoonde kaarten op hun aflegstapel.
|German||Dieb||Jeder Mitspieler deckt die obersten zwei Karten seines Nachziehstapels auf. Haben die Mitspieler eine oder mehrere Geldkarten aufgedeckt, muss jeder eine davon (nach deiner Wahl) entsorgen. Du darfst eine beliebige Zahl der entsorgten Karten nehmen. Alle übrigen aufgedeckten Karten legen die Spieler bei sich ab.|| (2013)|
one or more other
versions listed here
|Japanese||泥棒 (pron. dorobō)|
|Korean||도둑 (pron. dodug)|
|Polish||Złodziej||Każdy z pozostałych graczy odkrywa 2 wierzchnie karty swojej talii. Jeśli odkryje jakiekolwiek karty skarbów, wybierasz jedną, którą musi wyrzucić na śmietnisko. Możesz dodać dowolną liczbę wyrzuconych w ten sposób kart. Wszystkie pozostałe odkryte karty należy odrzucić.|
|Russian||Вор (pron. vor)|
Second Edition Removal
Long before Donald X. decided to remove Thief from the second edition; it was clear that it was an extremely weak card. Noble Brigand was his first attempt to create a "fixed version" of Thief; when Thief finally was removed, Bandit became its replacement.