From DominionStrategy Wiki
|This page is awaiting large-scale edits by the community to meet quality and format standards. The information on this page may be outdated. Join the #wiki-general channel on the Dominion Discord server to participate.|
|When you are the first player to gain a Province, each player bids once, up to and takes the they bid., ending with you. High bidder gets +8|
Mountain Pass is a Landmark from Empires. It prompts a bidding event when a Province is first gained, where players take turns stating an amount of they'd be willing to take on, once per player, starting with the player to the left of the one who gained the Province. The winner of the bid gets +8 , and takes on the they bid. It is the only Landmark to involve , and the only card in the game to involve bidding.
 Unofficial FAQ (2022)
- This only happens the first time a player gains a Province; it does not matter if the Province was bought or not, or if Provinces have left the pile earlier due to Salt the Earth.
- The player to the left of the player who got the Province bids first, then the player to their left and so on, ending with the player who got the Province.
- Each bid can be a pass, or a higher bid than the previous bid.
- Bids are in amounts of , from to ; a bid of cannot be beaten.
- The player who bid the highest (if any) gets +8 and takes the amount of of their bid.
- If you win the bid on your turn, you can immediately pay off some of your .
- If you Possess a player and then gain the first Province, you still have control over how much they bid. If they win the bid, they take the 8 , and you take the . In practice (at least in a 2-player game), you force them to bid , and you can take for 8 .
Deprecated official FAQ (2016)
Deprecated rules clarifications (2016 2021)
 English versions
|When you are the first player to gain a Province, after that turn, each player bids once, up to and takes the they bid., ending with you. High bidder gets +8||Empires||June 2016|
|When you are the first player to gain a Province, at end of turn, each player bids once, up to and takes the they bid., ending with you. High bidder gets +8||Possession related errata||October 26, 2020 / February 18, 2022|
|When you are the first player to gain a Province, each player bids once, up to and takes the they bid., ending with you. High bidder gets +8||June 29, 2022|
 Other language versions
 Secret History
At first it was when the first Province was bought, the buyer bid first, no limit, and the prize was 10 . Since the correct bid might be infinity, there's a limit, and hey why not the total number of tokens included. Gain felt better than buy; between turns dealt with Possession, man, that card. And eventually I lowered it to 8 to reduce the chance that you run out of tokens.
For sure Mountain Pass is not a set highlight. No-one ever knows what to bid, or always bids 14. I don't regret it though.
There should not be stuff happening between-turns (except for determining whose turn is next, which Outpost etc. can safely mess with). Why is there? [...] Mountain Pass is between turns so Possession doesn't affect who makes the decision to take 40 . But I later fixed that on Possession itself. Will I ever fix Donate and Mountain Pass to not be between turns? Man, maybe. I don't need to make that decision today.
Since then, Mountain Pass has received errata to happen as soon as you gain the first Province.
Nothing should happen between turns except picking which extra turn happens next. Donate and Mountain Pass broke that...While Mountain Pass couldn't make anything else happen between turns (since nothing triggers on getting ), I decided to fix it too.