Name a card. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Trash the matches. Put the rest back on top in any order.
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each you overpaid, look at the top card of your deck; trash it, discard it, or put it back.
Doctor is an Action card from Guilds. At first look, it appears to be a quite powerful trasher because it trashes from your deck rather than your hand, and therefore you can thin your deck without losing the opportunity to use the other cards in your hand. It is an overpaying card, and allows the player to inspect and trash or discard a number of cards from their deck equal to the amount they overpaid.
 Official FAQ
- When you play this, you name a card, reveal the top three cards of your deck, trash each of those cards that has that name, and put the other cards back on your deck in any order.
- You do not have to name a card being used this game.
- If there are fewer than three cards left in your deck, reveal the remaining cards, and shuffle your discard pile (which does not include those cards) to get the remainder needed to reveal. If there are still not enough cards, just reveal as many as you can.
- When you buy this, for each extra you pay over the cost, you look at the top card of your deck, and either trash it, discard it, or put it back on top. If there are no cards left in your deck, shuffle your discard pile into your deck (including any cards already discarded to this overpay ability this turn), and if there still are no cards in it, you do not look at one.
- If you overpay more than , you may do different things for each card you look at, and you will look at the same card again if you put it back on top. For example if you bought Doctor for , you would look at the top card four times; you might end up first trashing a Copper, then discarding a Province, then putting a Silver back on top, then putting that Silver back on top again.
 Strategy Article
There is no strategy article yet for Doctor. Feel free to add your thoughts!
One trick is available if you have a/ opening (not / ): on your first turn, buy Doctor and overpay . The overpay effect will reveal a copper (60%) or an estate (40%), trashing either of which is generally desirable. The second turn will most likely be C/C/C/E/E, and Doctor is guaranteed to appear in either the second (17%) or third turn (83%) or rarely both. While this substantially reduces the expected cash value of the third turn as compared with a Silver/Silver opening, it affords very rapid trashing. In addition, this opening usually provides on turns 2 and 3 which, if used to buy silver, will substantially increase your average buying power thereafter.
Doctor is a reasonably powerful trasher even aside from its overpay effect. The main thing that sets Doctor apart from other Trashers is that it trashes specific cards in your deck, not your hand. Unlike Chapel, you don't have to neuter your current turn, and unlike Lookout, you're only going to be trashing cards that you want to get rid of. In most sets, Doctor is best used in the early game to trash Coppers. With careful deck tracking, you can also use it to get rid of an Estate or two, though ideally you try and hit those Estates when you overpay for Doctor.
Doctor is a good enough card that it's sometimes worth buying even when you can only overpay Baron, Death Cart (to an extent), or Fool's Gold work particularly well for picking up an early Doctor, allowing you to prune your deck of Copper or Shelters, connecting to Estates or Ruins more reliably.or even . It has its greatest utility in the early game when your deck is relatively homogeneous, which is generally before you can overpay substantial amounts for Doctor. Cards that let you get a lot of money very quickly, like
- Fool's Gold, which produces big money turns early and benefits strongly from early Trashing.
- Baron, or to some extent, Death Cart
- Deck tracking cards such as Cartographer, Navigator, or Spy
- Opponents' Ghost Ship, Sea Hag, or other top-of-deck attacks.
- Rats: Doctor becomes easier to use when you turn a diverse array of junk into more Rats.
- Tomb: With Tomb on the board, Doctor's overpay ability turns excess money into victory points when you trash away cards.
- Terminal draw Big Money
- Discard attacks
- The presence of more reliable trashers, such as Chapel
 English versions
 Other language versions
|German||Arzt|| Nenne eine Karte, dann decke die 3 obersten Karten vom Nachziehstapel auf.
Übereinstimmungen werden entsorgt.
Der Rest wird in beliebiger Reihenfolge wieder auf den Nachziehstapel gelegt.
Wenn du diese Karte kaufst, darfst du mehr dafür zahlen. Pro , das du zusätzlich zahlst, darfst du dir die oberste Karte vom Nachziehstapel ansehen und sie entsorgen, ablegen oder zurücklegen.
|Japanese||医者 (pron. isha)||カード1枚を指定する。山札の上から3枚を公開する。その中の指定したカードをすべて廃棄する。残りを好きな順番で山札の上は戻す。これを購入するとき、追加でコストを支払ってもよい。追加で払ったコストにつき1度、山札の一番上のカードを見て、それを廃棄するか、捨て札にするか、山札の上に戻す。|
|Korean||의사 (pron. uisa)|
|Russian||Доктор (pron. doktor)|
 Secret History