|Type(s)||Action - Attack|
You may trash 2 cards from your hand.|
If you do, +2 Cards, + , and each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
(This is not in the Supply.)
Mercenary is an Action–Attack from Dark Ages. It does a little bit of everything—it's a terminal silver, terminal draw, trasher, and handsize attack, all in one card! However, since it does its thing only if you can trash two cards with it, it can quickly run out of fuel. And you can only get it from Urchin.
 Official FAQ
- This card is not in the Supply; it can only be obtained via Urchin.
- When you play it, you may trash 2 cards from your hand. If you do, you draw two cards, get + , and each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
- Players who already have 3 or fewer cards in hand do nothing.
- Players responding to this Attack with cards like Beggar must choose to do so before you decide whether or not to trash 2 cards from your hand.
- If you play this with only one card in hand, you may choose to trash that card, but then will fail the "if you do" and will not draw cards and so on.
- If the cards you trash do things when trashed, first trash them both, then choose what order to resolve the things they do when trashed.
 Other Rules clarifications
 Strategy Article
For Mercenary strategy, see the article on Urchin.
Mercenary trashing is surprisingly fast, and if you have a few Villages, won't interrupt your buildup at all. It is, however, hard to figure out when it's worth getting those early Urchins and slowing yourself down just to get a Mercenary later.
- Effective against junking attacks
- Fortress gives you something to trash with Mercenary for the + and +2 Cards even when you're out of junk.
 Alternate versions
Digital version for Dominion Online
 In other languages
- Dutch: Huurling
- Finnish: Palkkasoturi
- French: Mercenaire
- German: Söldner
- HiG translation error : "+2 Cards / + / Every other player ..." separated
- Japanese: 傭兵 (pron. yōhei)
- Korean: 용병 (pron. yongbyeong)
- Russian: Наёмный Убийца (pron. nayomny ubiytsa, lit. hired assassin)
- Spanish: Mercenario
 Card Art
 Secret History