|Type(s)||Action - Duration|
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game:|
(This stays in play)
 Official FAQ
- After playing this, you draw an extra card at the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game.
- Hireling stays in play for the rest of the game to track this.
- If you use Disciple (or a similar card, like Throne Room) to play Hireling twice, you will draw two extra cards each turn, and Disciple will also stay in play for the rest of the game.
 Other Rules clarifications
- If a Hireling is put into play at the start of your turn, such as by Summon or Prince, you will draw a card.
- If used with Procession, Hireling goes to the trash, Procession is discarded from play in Clean-up phase, and you will draw two extra cards per turn, even with Hireling in the trash.
- If used with Teacher, the token will take effect when you play a new Hireling for the first time, not every turn when the Hireling effect takes place.
There is no strategy article for Hireling, but the card has been discussed on the forum.
Hireling looks crazy strong at first glance; an extra card at the start of every turn is pretty ridiculous for only Prince on Ruined Library, but you only paid for it, how good would that be? It's nice, but it's not completely insane., right? As it turns out, Hireling is a good card, but it's not one of the best cards in the game and it's certainly not overpowered. Imagine that you play
Hireling is best compared with non-terminal draw, such as Laboratory and Alchemist, as it increases your handsize every turn without using up an action. The advantage Hireling has over Laboratory and Alchemist, of course, is that it's way more reliable; you don't need to actually draw the Laboratory in your hand at the correct moment to get the extra card. The disadvantage, other than the slightly higher cost, is that Hireling is terminal and doesn't draw anything at all on the turn you play it. This means that you need to sacrifice your current turn to some extent to improve your next turns, so Hireling is only worth it if you have plenty of turns left.
So when do you go for Hireling? It's best used in situations where you want to make your engine more reliable. Some engines tend to have trouble drawing their cards in the right order, because the trashing is on the weak side, for example. The strongest engines might not need Hireling as much, and the weakest ones lose to Big Money anyway, but Hireling shines in those engines that are somewhere in between.
Another use of Hireling is in slogs. Slogs have a lot of turns, so if you get an early you might want to invest in a Hireling to make all of your other turns slightly better. Only do this in the early game, though; later on, you usually just want Gold instead.
- Engines with weak trashing
- Ferry, Quarry
- Cards that enable you to get it early on: Baron, Coppersmith
- Throne Room variants work with it, although they are lost for the rest of the game, they double Hireling's effect and are cheaper
- Procession is especially crazy with Hireling if there are cards, or with Graverobber / Rogue / Lurker
- Quest: Hireling assures you can gain a Gold
 English versions
|At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: +1 Card (This stays in play)||Adventures 1st Edition||April 2015|
|At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: +1 Card (This stays in play)||Adventures 2nd Edition||August 2017|
 Other language versions
|Finnish||Palkollinen (lit. menial)|
|French||Recrue (lit. recruit)|
|German||Gefolgsmann (lit. liegeman)|| Immer zu Beginn deines Zuges:|
(Diese Karte bleibt bis zum Spielende im Spiel.)
|Japanese||雇人 (pron. yatoinin)||ゲーム終了まで、あなたのターンの開始時に +1 カードを引く。 (これは場に残り続ける。)|
|Polish||Najemnik (note: as referred to in Polish Empires rulebook)|
|Russian||Наёмник (pron. nayomnik)|
A potentially infinite number of Hirelings can be activated by using Procession on Hireling, then Graverobber (or a similar card) to retrieve the trashed Hireling. This is particularly hilarious given that there will be no actual cards in play to track these effects. This can also be done with Bonfire and Graverobber.
 Secret History