Look at the top 5 cards of your deck. Discard 3 of them and put the rest back on top of your deck in any order.
 Official FAQ
- When you buy this you get +1 Buy (letting you buy another Event or a card afterwards).
- Then look at the top 5 cards of your deck, discarding 3 and putting the rest on top of your deck in any order.
- If there are fewer than 5 cards even after shuffling, you still discard 3 of them; if there are only 3 cards left between your deck and discard pile, all 3 will be discarded.
- Scouting Party is unaffected by the -1 Card token; if it is on top of your deck, replace it after resolving Scouting Party.
There is no strategy article for Scouting Party, but it has been discussed on the forum.
Scouting Party is rarely a strategy in and of itself, but it can be a benign little addition to your Buy phase if you happen to haveleftover, for example on those pesky hands, or just hands with no good Kingdom cards. The fact that it doesn't cost a Buy helps a lot with this. Unless you happen to know that there are only good cards on top of your deck, there is often no reason not to buy Scouting Party if you have the money. It is most effective on boards with mediocre to weak trashing; if the trashing is strong enough, you won't really need the sifting Scouting Party provides.
Tunnel has the best synergy with Scouting Party by far, and the only reason to consider Scouting Party a legitimate (Big Money) strategy. Best case scenario, it can gain you a multitude of Golds per turn for cheap.
Scouting Party is also a great opener when you have a opening split, and you want to open a power like Ambassador, Masquerade or Steward. It's not as good as Travelling Fair for these situations, but still pretty good./
- Doctor: leave the bad cards on top, then overpay for Doctor to trash them
- Apothecary, which tends to leave Victory cards on top of your deck
- Cards that require a lot of deck control: Counting House, Philosopher's Stone, Rebuild
- Opponents' Attacks that mess with the top of your deck: Sea Hag, Rabble, Spy
- Opening / with power cards
- Strong Hamlet, Page, Fool's Gold cards you might want in multiples:
- Good cards at every price point
- Strong trashing: Chapel and friends
- Wine Merchant also wants you to have leftover money
 Alternate versions
Digital version for Dominion Online
 In other languages
- Dutch: Verkennerseenheid (lit. scouting unit)
- Finnish: Tiedustelupartio (lit. reconnaissance patrol)
- French: Pistage (lit. tracking)
- German: Spähtrupp
- Japanese: 偵察隊 (pron. teisatsutai)
- Russian: Поисковый Отряд (pron. poiskovy otryad, lit. search party)
 Secret History