|Type(s)||Action - Reaction|
Discard any number of cards. + per card discarded.|
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, +2 Cards, then put 2 cards from your hand on top of your deck.
Secret Chamber is an Action-Reaction card from the first edition of Intrigue. It allows you to move cards between your hand and the top of your deck when an Attack is played. This helps to defend against deck inspection attacks such as Spy and Swindler, by allowing you to choose what card the Attack finds, and against handsize attacks by helping ensure that you have cards in hand that you want to discard. It does not directly protect against Cursers. When played as an action, it lets you discard cards for , which lets you get some value out of Curses and Victory cards.
 Official FAQ
- When you play this as an Action on your turn, you first discard any number of cards from your hand, then get per card you discarded. The other ability does nothing at that time as it is only used as a Reaction.
- You may choose to discard zero cards, but then you will get zero additional .
- When someone else plays an Attack card, you may reveal Secret Chamber from your hand. If you do, first you draw 2 cards, then you put any 2 cards from your hand on top of your deck (in any order).
- The cards you put back do not have to be the ones you drew. You can put Secret Chamber itself on top of your deck; it's still in your hand when you reveal it.
- Revealing Secret Chamber happens prior to resolving what an Attack does to you. For example, if another player plays Thief, you can reveal Secret Chamber, draw 2 cards, put 2 back, and then you resolve getting hit by the Thief.
- You can reveal Secret Chamber whenever another player plays an Attack card, even if that Attack would not affect you.
- Also, you can reveal more than one Reaction card in response to an Attack. For example, after revealing the Secret Chamber in response to an Attack and resolving the effect of the Secret Chamber, you can still reveal a Moat to avoid the Attack completely.
 Other Rules clarifications
- You may reveal the same Secret Chamber multiple times when reacting to an Attack; for example, in response to an attack, you could reveal Secret Chamber, draw a Moat and a Copper off the top of your deck, put back two coppers, reveal the Moat to be unaffected by the attack, and then reveal Secret Chamber again to put either the Moat or the Secret Chamber back on top of your deck.
- Revealing the Secret Chamber alone does NOT prevent the attack from affecting you. You can reveal Secret Chamber even in response to an attack that does not affect the top of your deck, like Witch.
- You must reveal the Secret Chamber as soon as the Attack is played, but before any text on it is resolved. So if your opponent plays Minion or Pirate Ship, you must finish drawing cards and then putting cards back on top before your opponent makes their choice for which action on attack card to take.
 Strategy Article
There isn't a strategy article for Secret Chamber.
- It is pretty good to get early in Ambassador games, since in reaction to your opponent's Ambassadors it both helps you line up estates to Amb away and prevent Ambassador collision, AND it allows you to send back coppers with impunity, knowing you'll easily be able to get to to start your economy again.
- It can help against Mountebank. Draw a curse from the top of your deck and discard it to avoid the attack.
- Scrying Pool can be used with Secret Chamber to discard lots of Actions for and draw them up again.
- Secret Chamber can be used to discard a lot of cards for Tactician, thus letting you play Tacticians every turn and still have to spend. Note that you have to have some extra source of draw, like a Laboratory, for the Secret Chamber to give you and still leave a card in hand to discard to the next Tactician. before playing a
- It lets you choose cards for Thief, Spy, Swindler, Tribute, Minion, Pirate Ship and others.
- Secret Chamber pairs well with Envoy, since you care less about which card your opponent discards.
- Vault has a similar Action but with +2 cards, which helps a lot.
 English versions
 Other language versions
 Secret History
 Second Edition Removal