|You may trash a Copper from your hand for +.|
Moneylender is an Action card from the Base set. When played, it lets you trash a Copper from your hand and gives you + if you do. It is similar to terminal Silvers, since it gives you 2 more than you would have had from just playing the Copper; however, it also gets the Coppers out of your deck so you can draw your better cards more often.
 Official FAQ
- You only get the + if you actually trashed a Copper.
 Other Rules clarifications
 First edition
In the first edition of Dominion, Moneylender's text did not include "you may": trashing a Copper was mandatory if Moneylender was played. Donald X. Vaccarino revised the card because that offered no provision for keeping the player honest: if a player claimed that they had no Coppers in hand, and that was why they weren't activating Moneylender's ability, there was no way for their opponents to verify that this was the case. This rarely made a difference in gameplay, however.
 Strategy Article
Original article by theory
A long time ago, this used to be one of the best opening Masquerade, it trashes without sacrificing your current hand. Moneylender even works with Chapel: Moneylender can bootstrap Chapel decks into ′s and Golds as quickly as a Silver while thinning the deck faster, and if there are no worthwhile ′s, then drawing Silver/Chapel is just as useless as drawing Moneylender/Chapel.′s; like
Unfortunately, there’s not much use for Moneylender outside the early game. Look for a way to get rid of it, even before it trashes all 7 Coppers; you’re just not as likely to draw it with your Coppers after three or four trashings. In the midgame, if you can draw your entire deck, then Moneylender can be a decent defense against Mountebank and Ambassador. And if you feel especially daring, it might be worthwhile to spend some extra Buys on Coppers if you have excess card-drawing capacity, or if you're running a treasureless double-Tactician deck. More often, though, the Moneylender just ends up getting fed to the Salvager, Forge, or even the Chapel.
- Other copper trashers such as Mine, Loan, Spice Merchant
- Strategies that use Copper such as Coppersmith, Counting House, Gardens
- Sometimes, other trashers like Chapel, Trading Post, Steward
 Alternate versions
Digital version for Dominion Online
 In other languages
- Chinese: 錢莊 (pron. qiánzhuāng, lit. money laundering)
- Czech: Lichvář
- Dutch: Geldschieter
- The Dutch card text says "you may", where the official card does not.
- Finnish: Koronkiskuri
- French: Prêteur sur gages
- German: Geldverleiher
- Greek: Τοκογλύφος (pron. tokoglyfos)
- Hungarian: Uzsorás (lit. usurer)
- Italian: Usuraio (lit. usurer)
- Japanese: 金貸し (pron. kanekashi)
- Korean: 대금업자 (pron. daegeum-eobja)
- Norwegian: Pengeutlåner
- Polish: Lichwiarz
- Romanian: Cămătar (lit. usurer)
- Russian: Ростовщик (pron. rostovshshik)
- Spanish: Prestamista
 Secret History