|Trash this and a Treasure Map from your hand. If you trashed two Treasure Maps, gain 4 Golds onto your deck.|
Treasure Map is an Action card from Seaside. By itself, a single Treasure Map does nothing besides trash itself; however, when you play a Treasure Map and have a second one in your hand, you gain 4 Gold cards and put them on your deck.
- When you play this, you trash it and trash another Treasure Map from your hand, if you can.
- If you did trash another copy of Treasure Map, then you gain 4 Golds, putting them onto your deck instead of your discard pile.
- If you did not have another copy of Treasure Map in hand, then you just trash the one Treasure Map and nothing else happens.
- If you Throne Room a Treasure Map, you will only trash the first Treasure Map once, and will gain no Golds.
Other Rules clarifications
- If you play an emulator such as Band of Misfits, which then plays a Treasure Map, you can't trash the Treasure Map from the supply, so you will fail to gain 4 Golds.
- If you Possess someone and make them trash 2 Treasure Maps, both of them are set aside, and you gain 4 Golds to your discard pile.
- Both Treasure Maps have to be trashed at once. This means that if you draw the second Treasure Map as a result of trashing the first one (e.g. by trashing a Cultist to Sewers), you can't trash the second Treasure Map for 4 Golds.
Treasure Map is not usually a very useful card. First, its Gold-gaining ability is inconvenient to activate: it requires you to spend two gains on Treasure Maps, then collide the two copies in your hand and use some of your terminal space to play one of them. Second, its effect when activated is generally not helpful. In many Kingdoms, you'll be better off generating primarily using Action cards rather than Treasures; even if you do want some Golds in your deck, four of them on top of your drawpile is typically not ideal. Unless you can draw them immediately, you'll start your next turn with four stop cards in your hand, making it unlikely that you'll manage to draw your deck or put the Golds to good use by finding your +Buy, trash-for-benefit cards, or anything else you'd like to collide with them.
The best-case scenario for making use of Treasure Map is one in which your engine has substantial overdraw, but the Kingdom lacks sufficient Action-based payload and you need to ramp up your production more quickly than by gaining Treasures one by one. In this situation, the ideal way to use Treasure Map is to gain-and-play two of them after drawing your deck, then draw the four Golds as well. You can then make use of them immediately (for or otherwise, e.g. by Remodelling them), while remaining confident that you can draw your deck again next turn.
Outside this relatively narrow type of situation, e.g. in a money strategy or with an engine that isn't yet reliably overdrawing, gaining two or more Treasure Maps and hoping to draw them together is unlikely to work out well. In Kingdoms that have little else to do, however, strong trashing such as Chapel or Donate can enable quick Treasure Map activation and an early start to greening with a deck mostly composed of Golds. In the absence of such trashing, Sifters and effects such as Save and Way of the Turtle can also facilitate early collision and may be moderately effective methods of adding Golds.
External strategy articles
Note: Article(s) below are by individual authors and may not represent the community's current views on cards, but may provide more in-depth information. Caveat emptor.
Other language versions
|Chinese||藏寶圖 (pron. cáng bǎo tú)|
|French||Carte aux trésors|
|German||Schatzkarte|| Entsorge diese und eine weitere Schatzkarte aus deiner Hand.
Wenn du das machst:
Nimm dir 4 Gold und lege diese verdeckt auf deinen Nachziehstapel.
"...If you do: Gain…"
one or more other versions listed here
|German||Schatzkarte|| Entsorge diese Karte und eine Schatzkarte aus der Hand.
Wenn du 2 Schatzkarten entsorgt hast, nimm 4 Gold und lege sie auf deinen Nachziehstapel.
|German||Schatzkarte|| Entsorge diese Karte und eine Schatzkarte aus deiner Hand.
Wenn du zwei Schatzkarten entsorgt hast, nimm 4 Gold auf deinen Nachziehstapel.
|Italian||Mappa del Tesoro|
(pron. takara no chizu)
|Korean||보물지도 (pron. bomuljido)|
|Polish||Mapa skarbu||Wyrzuć na śmietnisko tę i jeszcze jedną Mapę skarbu z ręki. Jeżeli wyrzuciłeś dwie Mapy skarbu, dodaj 4 karty Złota i połóż je na wierzchu swojej talii.||(2016)|
|Russian||Карта Сокровищ (pron. karta sokrovishsh)||Выкиньте эту карту и другую Карту Сокровищ из руки. Если вы выкинули две Карты Сокровищ, получите четыре Золота на верх колоды.|
|Spanish||Mapa del Tesoro|
Is Treasure Map swingy?