|Type(s)||Action - Attack - Duration|
Until your next turn, when any other player buys a card, they gain a Curse.|
At the start of your next turn: +
 Official FAQ
- Playing this sets up two effects for the future: you will get +Curse whenever they buy a Card. at the start of your next turn; and until then, other players will gain a
- Players who buy multiple cards will gain a Curse per card bought; players who do not buy any cards will not get any Curses.
- This is cumulative; if you play two Swamp Hags, and the player after you plays one, then the player after that will get three Curses with any card bought.
- This does not affect cards gained other ways, only bought cards.
- Buying Events is not buying cards and so does not trigger this.
- If you play Swamp Hag and then take an extra turn immediately, such as with Mission or Outpost (from Seaside), you will get + at the start of that turn and discard Swamp Hag that turn, and other players will never be affected by it.
- If you want to use a Reaction card like Moat against Swamp Hag, you have to use it right when Swamp Hag is played.
 Other rules clarifications
- Gaining happens after buying, so when-gain effects (such as Ill-Gotten Gains' Curse giving) occur after you've gained a Curse. If there's only one Curse left when you buy an Ill-Gotten Gains after an opponent played a Swamp Hag, only you receive a Curse.
- When-buy effects happen at the same time as Swamp Hag's effects; the Attacked player chooses in which order to resolve them. This can matter in the case of Doctor's overpay, if it triggers a reshuffle.
There is no strategy article for Swamp Hag, but the card has been discussed on the forum!
In general, Swamp Hag is considered to be a bit on the weak side for a Curser. It is, on average, weaker than cards such as Witch for two reasons. First and foremost, the Cursing attack can be circumvented. Your opponent only gets a Curse if they buy a card during their next turn, so the Curse can be avoided by not buying anything. For example, maybe they just wanted to buy something cheap and rather uninteresting anyway, like a Silver, and skipping the Silver buy to avoid getting a Curse might be worth it. The second reason is that Swamp Hag, being a Duration card, misses more shuffles, and on top of it, the Curses that your opponent might gain will also miss more shuffles, because they will be delayed.
There are cases in which Swamp Hag shines. It is important to note that Swamp Hag's attack stacks easily; it doesn't just go off if your opponent buys a card, it goes off with every card they buy. If your opponent wanted to buy 3 cards during their turn, they get 3 Curses with it if you played a single Swamp Hag. If you played two Swamp Hags, and they buy 3 cards, that's 6 Curses for them. Since Swamp Hag does not have a while-in-play clause, you can also successfully Throne Room it or call a Royal Carriage on it.
Swamp Hag, like Haunted Woods, has not just a delayed attack but also a delayed payout; it gives you + on the next turn. + is a lot of money, but the fact that you won't get it until next turn makes it harder to plan in advance what to do with it. In general, it's not nearly as strong as Haunted Woods' +3 cards on the next turn, nor is it better than Witch or Mountebank's immediate payout. It works best with other Duration cards that give a benefit on the next turn, since in Dominion, one very good and one very bad turn is often better than two mediocre turns. The + can be useful if you want to spike expensive cards early on.
- Opponent's +Buy
- Other Duration cards, especially Tactician
- Throne Room variants
- Spiking expensive cards early: King's Court, Pathfinding, Prince (if there are good targets), Province with Tournament
- Opponent's gainers
- Stronger and more direct cursers
- Cards that give you another turn like Outpost
 English versions
|Until your next turn, when any other player buys a card, he gains a Curse. At the start of your next turn: +||Adventures 1st Edition||April 2015|
|Until your next turn, when any other player buys a card, they gain a Curse. At the start of your next turn: +||Adventures 2nd Edition||August 2017|
 Other language versions
|Dutch||Heks uit het moeras (lit. witch from the swamp)|
|French||Sorcière des marais|
|German||Sumpfhexe|| Bis zu deinem nächsten Zug:|
Jeder Mitspieler muss sich für jede Karte, die er kauft, einen Fluch nehmen.
Zu Beginn deines nächsten Zuges:
|Japanese||沼の妖婆 (pron. numa no yōba)||あなたの次のターンまで、他のプレイヤーがカード1枚を購入するとき、そのプレイヤーは呪い1枚を獲得する。あなたの次のターンの開始時に、+。|
|Russian||Болотная Ведьма (pron. bolotnaya vyed'ma)|
 Secret Historyon both turns, then +1 Card; now it's + next turn.