|Type(s)||Reaction - Shelter|
|Illustrator(s)||Eric J Carter|
|When you buy a Victory card, you may trash this from your hand.|
Hovel is one of the three Shelter cards that players start with instead of Estates in their decks in Dark Ages games. It is a Reaction; when you buy a Victory card, you can trash your Hovel if you have it in hand at the time. It's thematic - you move out of your Hovel into a nice Duchy.
 Official FAQ
- When you buy a Victory card, if Hovel is in your hand, you may trash it.
- You don't get anything for trashing Hovel; you just get to get rid of it.
 Other Rules clarifications
- When a Hovel is revealed when playing Ambassador, it is not returned to the Supply (since it is not in the Supply) and opponents do not gain a copy of it.
 Strategy Article
General Shelters strategy is on the Shelters page.
You typically will not want to buy a Victory card such as a Duchy or Estate very early just to trash Hovel. However, having a Hovel in hand does provide an incentive to buy a Province when you'd otherwise forgo it for a Gold, or to buy a Duchy a little earlier than you usually would.
- Market Square can gain you a Gold when you trash Hovel.
- Alt-VP rushes and other situations where you might be buying Victory cards earlier than usual, such as with Rebuild.
- Chapel or other forms of strong trashing which will let you trash the Hovel before using its Reaction ability.
 English versions
 Other language versions
 Secret History