|Once per turn: If you have no Treasures in play, gain a card costing up to.|
 Official FAQ
- You can only buy this once per turn.
- When you do, if you have no Treasures in play, you gain a card costing up to .
- The gained card comes from the Supply and is put into your discard pile.
There is no strategy article for Alms, but it has been discussed on the forum.
Events are harder to rate than cards, but Alms is a game-changer, no doubt. For one thing, it completely throws a lot of opening theory out of the window, since it now enables/ or even / openings. Alms typically does nothing on your big turns, as it does nothing when you have any Treasures in play, but it is almost always bought at least once in a game, as it mitigates the effects of bad draws or otherwise weak turns.
Alms is awesome with heavy trashing. Usually, your Chapel turns end without buying a card. With Alms, however, you can trash all of the junk out of your deck and STILL gain a good card up to .
- Heavy trashing: Chapel, Count, Steward
- Good Spice Merchant, Ironmonger cards you might want multiples of in the opening:
- Virtual money with +Buy: Baron, Wine Merchant, Storeroom
- In Treasure-less decks, such as with Poor House, Alms can be bought even on your good turns
- Gainers: Workshop and friends
- Rushes and slogs, such as with Gardens
- Cards like Mint and Mandarin, which can remove played Treasures
- Treasure Map as you can can get two of them into your deck before the first reshuffle.
- When used with Villa, you can get one extra coin and a +buy before playing treasures.
- Most money-based strategies
- Lack of good cards below
- Horn of Plenty
- Handsize attacks like Militia and Cutpurse are less effective
- Since buying Alms is not buying a card, the attacks from Haunted Woods and Swamp Hag also suffer
 English versions
|Once per turn: If you have no Treasures in play, gain a card costing up to.||Adventures 1st Edition||April 2015|
|Once per turn: If you have no Treasures in play, gain a card costing up to.||Adventures 2nd Edition||August 2017|
 Other language versions
|Japanese||施し (pron. hodokoshi, lit. charity)|
|Russian||Милостыня (pron. milostynya)|
 Secret History, no limits, because what, why not try that. As you can see instead it is a more sane thing that just means, you're never doing worse than a .