From DominionStrategy Wiki
|This page is awaiting large-scale edits by the community to meet quality and format standards. The information on this page may be outdated. Join the #wiki-general channel on the Dominion Discord server to participate.|
|Type(s)||Action - Duration|
You may play a non-Duration Action card from your hand. Set it aside; if you did, then at the start of your next turn, play it.
Royal Galley is an Action-Duration card from Allies. It functions somewhat like Throne Room, except that it plays a card from your hand once immediately, and once on your next turn.
 Official FAQ
- Playing a non-Duration Action card via this is optional. If you do play one, you resolve the card completely, then set it aside. If it moved elsewhere somehow (for example, if it trashed itself), you fail to set it aside, and Royal Galley is discarded that turn normally.
- If you do set the card aside, then Royal Galley stays in play with it this turn, and at the start of your next turn, you play the card again. Royal Galley and the card are both discarded that turn.
- Playing a card via Royal Galley does not use up an Action play (though playing Royal Galley itself does).
 Other rules clarifications
- If you Royal Galley a non-Duration card that should stay in play (such as a Band of Misfits that plays a Duration, or a Throne Room that plays a Duration), it still gets set aside with Royal Galley.
- If you Royal Galley a Throne Room, and on your next turn, you make the Throne Room plays a Duration (like Caravan), the Throne Room stays in play, but Royal Galley doesn't.
 External strategy articles
 English versions
| +1 Card
You may play a non-Duration Action card from your hand.
Set it aside; if you did, then at the start of your next turn, play it.
 Other language versions
|German||Königliche Galeere|| +1 Karte
Du darfst eine Aktionskarte aus deiner Hand spielen, die keine Dauerkarte ist.
Lege sie zur Seite. Wenn du das getan hast, spiele sie zu Beginn deines nächsten Zuges.
Royal Galley plays a card both this turn and next turn; it makes anything else into a Duration.
 Secret History
For strumphf's 2022 advent calendar, Donald X. went in-depth on the development of Royal Galley.
This card started out in Seaside. It didn't have +1 Card then, which makes all the difference. I tried a version here which gave + next turn, then Matt suggested making it +1 Card this turn instead. Originally it looked for the card being discarded from play, the classic trick to catch Durations and one-shots and things; Stef suggested setting the card aside immediately, with "non-Duration" to rule those out.
 Previous outtake
There was a now-and-later Throne Room variant. Play an Action, play it again next turn. It was both confusing and weak. What if you use it on a duration card? How long does it stay on the table? It could have said "non-duration," but that's pretty sad in a set with 8 duration cards. And did I mention it was weak? It left before development started.