Discard any number of cards, then draw that many.
Cellar is an Action card from the Base set that acts as a sifter, replacing cards you do not want in your hand with an equal number of cards from the top of your deck. A similar card is Warehouse, which allows you to draw three cards from your deck before having to discard three cards.
 Official FAQ
- Choose any number of cards from your hand; discard them all at once; then draw as many cards as you actually discarded.
- If this causes you to shuffle, you will shuffle in the cards you discarded.
- You do not have to let players see any but the top card discarded; however the number of cards you discard is public.
 Other Rules clarifications
- You cannot discard the Cellar, as it is no longer in your hand once played.
 Strategy Article
Original article by theory.
Like most other Victory cards to scrounge together enough money to end the game, and can keep your engine firing reliably even in the face of a handful of green.Actions, Cellar is a versatile card. Early game, it cycles through your deck so you can quickly play your newly-bought cards. Mid-game, it fixes unlucky draws in order to set up your engine. Late-game, it helps you avoid your
The efficacy of the card is directly tied to your hand size. Cellars are best with large handsizes; for instance, a Laboratory/Alchemist chain or a +Actions/+Cards engine. In games with smaller handsizes (e.g., Militia-/Goons-heavy games), Cellars are more of a liability than a benefit.
One of Cellar’s best features is its ability to control reshuffles. Suppose you draw a hand of 4 Victory cards and a Cellar, and you have no more cards left in your draw deck. Instead of Cellaring all 4 Victory cards, you can instead Cellar exactly 1 Victory Card, thus triggering the reshuffle, and then end your turn and discard your hand (which will hopefully still be junk). The quality of your draw deck is thus improved because you have kept a hand full of Victory cards out of the reshuffle.
Players that draw two or more Cellars in a single hand often face a decision of whether or not to Cellar the other Cellar. The answer depends on your deck composition and how many other cards you are Cellaring. Cellaring the other Cellar allows you an extra card in your hand, but saving the other Cellar allows you a second chance to draw. Generally speaking, if you are Cellaring more than two other cards, you should almost always save the other Cellar; if you are Cellaring only one other card, you should probably Cellar the other Cellar as well.
The biggest drawback to Cellar is that it’s been largely outclassed by Warehouse, whose ability to draw 3 cards and look at them before discarding means that Cellar is superior only if you’re discarding 5 or more cards at once.
- Cards that non-terminally increase hand size (Laboratory, Alchemist, Tactician, +Action/+Card engines...).
- A 5/2 split, because it lets you cycle through your deck faster to play your Action again.
- "Draw-up-to" actions (Watchtower, Jack of all Trades...).
- Actions that tend to bring weak cards into your hand (Scout, Advisor, Counting House...).
- Cards that want you to have a lot of green in your deck (Silk Road, Duke, Crossroads...).
- Actions that reward selective discarding (Tunnel, Menagerie...); though Warehouse is far better here.
- Important early-game combos, including self-combos (Treasure Map, Fool's Gold...). To get these to "meet up" it helps to have cheap nonterminal card access, as Cellar gives you.
- Opponents' deck-quality attacks (Witch, Swindler...).
- To a lesser degree, opponents' topdeck attacks (Spy, Rabble, Sea Hag...), which lower your hand quality on either this turn or the next.
- Competing sifters (Warehouse, Cartographer, Embassy, Farming Village…).
- Thin-deck strategies (Chapel, Steward, Mint...).
- Discard-for-benefit actions (Vault, Stables, Plaza...).
- Opponents’ hand-reduction attacks (Militia, Goons, Torturer, Ghost Ship...).
 English versions
|+1 Action. Discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded.||Dominion 1st Edition||October 2008|
|+1 Action. Discard any number of cards, then draw that many.||Dominion 2nd Edition||October 2016|
 Other language versions
|Chinese||地窖 (pron. dìjiào)|
|Czech||Sklepení (lit. vault)|
|German||Keller||+1 Aktion. Lege eine beliebige Anzahl Handkarten ab, dann ziehe genauso viele Karten.|
|Japanese||地下貯蔵庫 (pron. chika chozōko)||+1 アクション。 好きな枚数のカードを捨て札にし、 同じ枚数のカードを引く。|
|Korean||저장고 (pron. jeojang-go)|
|Russian|| Погреба (pron. pogryeba, Smart Ltd)
Погреб (pron. pogryeb, Dominion Online)
|+1 Действие. Сбросьте любое число карт, затем вытяните столько же.|
 Secret History