When you play this, you may play a Treasure from your hand twice. If you do, trash that Treasure.
Counterfeit is a Treasure card from Dark Ages. It functions a bit like a Procession for Treasures, allowing you to play another Treasure card twice and then trash it. Instead of allowing you to gain a new card to replace the trashed card, however, as Procession does, Counterfeit merely gives + and +1 Buy instead. Early in the game, Counterfeit can function like Moneylender, allowing you to trash Copper for a total of + ; in the endgame, it acts more like a trash-for-benefit card like Remodel, allowing you to trash Gold and Platinum to boost yourself toward Province and Colony.
 Official FAQ
- When you play this, you get and +1 Buy, and you may play a Treasure card from your hand twice.
- If you choose to do that, you trash that Treasure.
- You still get any coins that Treasure gave you from playing it, despite trashing it.
- If you use Counterfeit to play Spoils twice, you will get + (in addition to the from Counterfeit) and return Spoils to the Spoils pile; you will be unable to trash it.
- If you use Counterfeit to play a Treasure that does something special when you play it (such as another Counterfeit), you will do that thing twice.
 Strategy Article
An obvious way is as a nonterminal Moneylender. If you play Counterfeit and trash a Copper with it, you get at total of + , as well as +1 Buy. Pretty good. Being nonterminal is why it costs and not . As the game goes on, you may use Counterfeit to trash Silvers (for total) or even Golds (for a whopping )—Moneylender can't do those things! In those cases, it's like a better Salvager. Depending on the Kingdom, it could find uses in both engine-like and Big Money–like strategies.
Its major downside is its cost, since atit'll rarely be an opening, and it will face stiff competition from other -cost cards.
Of special note is its interaction with Spoils. Since Spoils returns to the Spoils pile after being played, there is no downside to Counterfeiting it on its way out!
- Moneylender, Loan, Spice Merchant compete with it for Copper-trashing.
- Quarry, Talisman, Royal Seal, and Hoard have abilities that depend on them being in play. Playing them with Counterfeit removes them from play, negating their abilities.
 English versions
|. +1 Buy. When you play this, you may play a Treasure from your hand twice. If you do, trash that Treasure.||Dark Ages 1st Edition||August 2012|
|. +1 Buy. When you play this, you may play a Treasure from your hand twice. If you do, trash that Treasure.||Dark Ages 2nd Edition||September 2017|
 Other language versions
 Secret History