When you discard this from play, you may put one of your Treasures from play on top of your deck.
Herbalist is an Action from Alchemy. It only gives + and +1 Buy, but allows you to put a Treasure on top of your deck to use against next turn. Even though Herbalist is the only Alchemy card which does not explicitly mention Potions in any way, its ability is perfectly suited for reusing Potions.
 Official FAQ
- When you play this, you get an extra to spend this turn, and may buy an additional card in your Buy phase.
- When you discard this from play (usually during Clean-up), you may choose a Treasure card you have in play, and put that card on your deck.
- If you have no cards in your deck, that Treasure will become the only card in your deck.
- You choose what order to discard cards during Clean-up; so, for example, if you have Herbalist, Potion, and Alchemist in play, you could choose to discard Alchemist first, putting it on top of your deck, then discard Herbalist, and put Potion on top of your deck.
- If you have multiple Herbalists in play, each one will let you put another Treasure from play onto your deck when you discard it.
 Other Rules clarifications
- Using Herbalist with Throne Room or King's Court does not allow you to top-deck more than one Treasure per Herbalist card. Using Herbalist with Procession doesn't allow you to top-deck any Treasures at all, since you never actually discard the Herbalist.
- Herbalist cannot top-deck Spoils or any Treasure doubled by Counterfeit, as they are no longer in play when Herbalist is discarded.
 Strategy Article
There is no strategy article for Herbalist.
In a pinch, it can be used to provide a +Buy in an engine, like a weaker version of Woodcutter (which is already pretty weak) - you'll have to find a good time to buy it, since if you get it too early it'll hurt your buying power and if you buy it too late you won't get much use out of its +Buy and you'll have to use on a -cost card. Though it can be used to return Gold and Platinum cards to the top of your deck, this is surprisingly difficult to do - in a Big Money-like game, you won't have a way to match up your Herbalist with your good Treasures in the first place, whereas in an engine-like game you'd rather draw an engine component rather than have your Treasure in hand immediately.
- Combo: Philosopher's Stone and Herbalist: Herbalist provides the +Buy to bloat your deck and the Philosopher's Stones worth mega-bucks, and the Treasure-reuse to reuse Potions early and Philosopher's Stones late.
- Combo: Alchemist and Herbalist: Use Herbalist to put the Potion back on top so you always draw it with your Alchemists, to put the Alchemists on top.
- With Scheme, Herbalist can be used to keep putting the same treasure back on top over and over without having to buy up lots of terminal Herbalists.
- Vineyard benefits from reusing the same Potion (to buy Vineyards fast in the late-game) and is powered up by cheap actions with +buy (Herbalist).
- Treasures you want to use more time:Quarry, Hoard,Bank,etc.
- Combines well with Fool's Gold, helps buy more early on, then lets you reuse it.
 Alternate versions
 In other languages
- Czech: Bylinkář
- Dutch: Kruidenexpert (lit. herb expert)
- Finnish: Yrttikauppias (lit. herb dealer)
- French: Herboriste
- German: Kräuterkundiger
- ASS translation error : "If you discard this card, you may put a played Treasure ..."
- Italian: Erborista
- Japanese: 薬草商 (pron. yakusōshō, lit. medicinal herbs merchant)
- Russian: Травник (pron. travnik)
- Spanish: Herbalista
 Secret Historywith +1 buy, to help support potions, and it had one. Some people complained about it though, 1) for being boring, although man, you need some simple cards here and there, and 2) for being the only card in the set that had nothing to do with potions. So we tried out this one to replace it and it seemed fine. Some people preferred the old one though. People seemed about 50-50 on it. I was 50-50 on it. In the end I felt like this card would be more interesting in this set than in most sets, and the other card could just go anywhere.