|Type(s)||Action - Reaction|
Discard 2 cards.
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, then at the start of your next turn, +1 Card and return this to your hand.
Horse Traders is an Action–Reaction card from Cornucopia. Played as an Action, it gives you and a buy, at the cost of discarding two cards; as a Reaction, it defends against handsize attacks by setting itself aside and drawing an extra card at the start of your next turn.
 Official FAQ
- When you play this, you get +1 Buy and + , and discard 2 cards from your hand.
- If you do not have enough cards to discard, just discard what you can; you still get the +1 Buy and + .
- When another player plays an Attack card, before that card does anything, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you set it aside, and at the start of your next turn, you return it to your hand and draw a card.
- While it is set aside, it is not in play or in your hand, and cannot be further revealed to Attacks. Therefore it will only work on one Attack per round of turns.
- You can reveal it for an Attack and still play it on your next turn.
- You can reveal multiple Horse Traders to a single Attack. For example, if another player plays Followers, you could reveal and set aside two Horse Traders from your hand, then gain a Curse but discard no cards, as you would only have three cards in hand at that point. Then on your next turn you would pick up the two Horse Traders and also draw two cards.
 Other Rules clarifications
 Strategy Article
There isn't a strategy article for Horse Traders.
Horse Traders is very good at getting you to Silver OR two Coppers with the Horse Trader to get to . It's not as good at getting to in Big Money, though. It's great for rush strategies where you'll likely have a lot of Victory cards around to discard, but not so good when you have to discard Coppers. It's also good when you want a way to reliably get to , but aren't worried about getting to reliably.. It turns 3 cards from your hand into , so you need to draw either a
Its defense against most discard attacks is quite strong. Against other Attacks, it doesn't completely cancel them out—but getting an extra card on your next turn is always nice. Beyond its Reaction effect, like Secret Chamber, it offers a weak counter against junking attacks by letting you discard Curses for + .
- Combo: Horse Traders and Duke
- Horse Traders both counteracts Minions attack AND makes it easy to get Minions yourself.
- Other Attacks
- Cute tricks with Menagerie, Watchtower, Library if you have Villages
- Engines that can't trash their Estates
- Strong trashing
 English versions
 Other language versions
 Secret History