Name a card. Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal 3 cards that are not the named card. Put those cards into your hand and discard the rest.|
Journeyman is an Action card from Guilds. It is a terminal draw card that fits into the minor "naming" theme of Guilds.
- This draws you three cards that are not a particular card.
- First name a card. It does not have to be a card being used this game.
- Then reveal cards from the top of your deck until you have revealed three cards that are not the named card.
- If you run out of cards without finding three, shuffle your discard pile into your deck and continue. If you still cannot find three, stop. Put the cards you found that were not the named card into your hand and discard the rest.
See here for an article about Journeyman.
When paired with other cards that give + Actions, Journeyman becomes even more spectacular than it already is. The fact that you don't get the named cards basically means that in Slog games when a high portion of your deck is junk, or when you have a lot of curses or other junk in your deck, Journeyman's ability to skip that junk can be key to gaining a lot of cards that you want quicker than most card drawers, making Journeyman one of the better card drawers in the game.
- Boards with a lot of + Actions
- Slog games
- High amounts of junk in your deck
- No real sources of + Action
- Having a deck clogged by Ruins - Journeyman will skip only the named ruin and stumble upon the rest
In other languages
- Dutch: Gezel
- French: Compagnon
- German: Wandergeselle
- Japanese: 熟練工 (pron. jukurenkō, lit. skilled workman)
On the metaphorical road from being an apprentice to being a master, there comes a point when you must hit the physical roads and travel around the land, practicing your craft. Your travels could you take you all over Europe, from some famous place in Spain, to Wawel Castle on the Vistula, built during Casimir III's reign. There you might see the sword Szczerbiec, which is all that remains of the Polish crown jewels today. The hilt is decorated with flowers, symbols, and magical formulas, and the blade has a notch in it, a gap, which currently holds a small shield with the coat of arms of Poland. You wouldn't be working on anything so fancy yourself though; you would only be a Journeyman. Which is today's card, hooray, I got there.
At one point the 13-card Guilds somehow squeezed in a minor third theme, which was "name a card." I didn't end up including much of it, but Doctor and Journeyman give you a taste of it. Name a card; draw three cards that aren't it. During playtesting we sometimes called this one Bigot Parade. "We hate !" they chant, marching past the Jagiellonian , which Casimir III established.
Early in the game, and Estate are the popular options. Later on you might name another card, or , or maybe a you've got that you feel like you'll be so unlucky as to draw now with no actions left. Too many Journeymen? Just name Journeyman.
I took this from Dark Ages, when I thought I might push a mild "name a card" subtheme here. I didn't end up pushing it enough to make it really visible. Journeyman and have you name a card, and then kind of does, and has you pick a card. Some playtesters called this card Bigot Parade, because you know, they don't like some particular card. "No !" they chant, marching through the streets.