|Type(s)||Action - Attack - Duration|
Until you next turn, when any other player buys a card, he puts his hand on top of his deck in any order.|
At the start of your next turn:
Haunted Woods is an Action-Attack-Duration from Adventures. It slows your opponents' cycling by forcing them to return to their deck, rather than discard, any cards they still have in hand at the end of their turn. Because it only draws cards on your next turn, while it's terminal on the turn it's played, it provides non-terminal draw on your next turn.
- Playing this sets up two effects for the future: you will draw 3 cards at the start of your next turn; and until then, other players will put the rest of their hand on their deck whenever they buy a card.
- A player may not have any cards left in hand when buying a card; typically cards left in hand will include Victory cards, Curses, and unplayed Actions.
- A player may intentionally avoid playing Treasures and Actions in order to take advantage of having to put his hand on his deck.
- Players who do not buy any cards can discard their hand normally.
- Buying Events is not buying cards and so does not trigger this.
- If you play Haunted Woods and then take an extra turn immediately, such as with Mission or Outpost (from Seaside), you will draw the 3 cards at the start of that turn and discard Haunted Woods that turn, and other players will never be affected by it.
- If you want to use a Reaction card like Moat against Haunted Woods, you have to use it right when Haunted Woods is played.
Other rules clarifications
- Gaining cards without buying them first does not trigger Haunted Woods' effect.
- Gaining happens after buying, so when-gain effects (such as Inn's deck-shuffling) occur after you've top-decked your hand.
- When-buy effects happen at the same time as Haunted Woods' effects; the Attacked player chooses in which order to resolve them.
There is no strategy article for Haunted Woods yet, as Adventures is the newest expansion, and the community is still discussing how best to use it. If you have ideas, please share them on the forum!
In other languages
- Dutch: Spookbos